5/5/11

Avocado & Corn Salsa

Texas Caviar

Food brings our family together for sure! My son said on Sunday while he was digging in to this yummy "Salsa" that the we all pretty much love any kind of chip & dips! I think he's right! This new favorite came from a family friend who served it at my son's  open house for their wedding. It is now a family favorite. It's not spicy hot so it makes it great for everyone.  This "Salsa" is worth making, I promise you. I discovered it by watching my teenagers dive into it and running to find me to tell me to track down the recipe I hated to tell them it might actually be kinda healthy for them.  It's perfect with tortilla chips.

Jan's Tips:  1) I have substituted white cannellini beans from my pantry several times instead of the black eyed peas and my family did not notice the difference.

                  2) I actually use this to layer into homemade burrito bowls (Chipotle Restaurant style) with rice, leftover chicken, pork, or beef seasoned with taco seasoning, and then topped with  this wonderful salsa. Try it and you'll see!

Avocado and Black Eyed Pea Salsa
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
Servings: 12


"Serve this festive, colorful salsa salad, made with black-eyed peas, avocado, and white shoe peg corn, with chips or as a side dish. It's perfect for any party ."
Ingredients:
2 ripe but firm avocados, diced
1/2 cup chopped green onion (or a small purple onion)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup chopped roma (plum) tomatoes
1 (11 ounce) can shoepeg corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas,rinsed and drained
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pkg. good seasons italian dressing seasoning packet
salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Lightly mix together avocados, green onion, cilantro, tomatoes, corn, and black-eyed peas in a salad bowl until well combined.
2. Whisk together oil, red wine vinegar,seasoning packet, in a bowl, and pour over the salad.

Season to taste with salt and pepper, and lightly toss the salad again. Chill for 1 hour before serving, to blend the flavors.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...