11/23/11

Almost Sugar Free Watergate Salad A.K.A Green Fluff


I grew up with Watergate salad at every holiday dinner. This is one of those recipes that people either love or hate.  Thankfully my children and husband all love it and call it Green Fluff.  I even sent the ingredients to my son while he was living in Taiwan so he could make it! (That was interesting!)

I use sugar free pistachio pudding and sugar free whip cream because my husband is diabetic. It doesn't make the whole dish sugar free (pineapple has fructose not to mention the sugar in the marshmallows!) but it does make it so he can enjoy a little of it. (And honestly your guests will NOT know the difference!) Hey, save the calories for dessert!

Watergate Salad (A.K.A: Green Fluff)










Ingredients:
2 small boxes sugar free pistachio pudding
2 containers of sugar free whip cream
1 (16 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice (do not drain)
1 bag mini marshmallows: I use the colored marshmallows for Easter

Directions:
1) pour powdered pudding mix into a mixing bowl.









2) Dump entire contents of  can of pineapple( juice and all)  into the bowl of dry pudding.









3) Stir pineapple and pudding together. It should look like this:










4) Gently  fold in both tubs of whip cream.  Keep folding till mixed thoroughly and you can no longer see white whip cream:







5) Stir in marshmallows. Now, my kids like the entire bag mixed in! I usually pour in most of the bag and leave approx. 1- 1 1/2 cups behind for me the kids to munch on. But you can mix in much less if you like! I couldn't find the colored ones at two stores so just went with the boring regular white ones. 

Store in refrigerator till ready to serve. Can be made the day ahead!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...