12/12/11

Chicken Master Mix



Freezer Cooking: Chicken

 In the time it takes you to cook a few chicken breasts for dinner tonight, you can make yourself Chicken Master Mix. Tonight I ended up with 3 bags of chicken and 2 cups of chicken broth for the freezer!

Having pre-cooked, precubed/shredded chicken in your freezer really helps you pull a quick dinner together on those busy nights. I will try to add some recipes you can use them in, but I mostly use them for easy pull togethers, like chicken tacos, chicken enchilada casserole (look in the recipe section for this one), chicken alfredo, chicken, broccoli, and rice (look in the freezer meals section), etc.

 Since tonight I'm serving burrito bowls, I needed to cook up a few chicken breasts today. It is just as easy to cook the entire 3 lb bag of chicken breasts and use some tonight and have extra to put in the freezer.
Here's how I like to make mine:

I prefer keeping the seasoning for chicken master mix, pretty simple and a taste that will cross over to any recipe I may use.
Today I used a 3 1b. bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast, but I also watch for sales and use whole chicken, chicken thighs, etc. , use this how to as a general guide to help you make your perfect Chicken Master Mix:



Ingredients:

3 1b. frozen chicken breasts
1 jar of mcCormicks savory herb rub, or turkey rub (can also substitute your own spices like garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage, etc)













Directions:


Place frozen chicken breasts into crockpot. Sprinkle herbs/dry rub generously over chicken breasts.
Cook chicken on high for 3 hours or low for 6-8 hours. They should look like this:










Remove chicken one at a time from crockpot and shred or cube on a cutting board.










My 3 lb. bag had a yield of approx. 7 cups of shredded chicken:










I chose to bag mine in about 2 cup increments, so got 3 bags of chicken:










But, I am not done yet!  There is some valuable broth left in the bottom of the crockpot! Unfortunately it also has some left over yucky fat in it from the chicken.









I place a strainer inside another bowl and strain the broth from the yucky stuff:











And by straining the fat out of the broth, I was able to yield about 2 cups of chicken broth:
Once it has completely cooled, I pour it into labeled freezer bags to use for soups, gravies, etc.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...