8/13/22

Summer Squash Enchiliadas with Jack Chili Sauce

Recipes using yellow squash
I am sitting down to eat this scrumptious dinner tonight thanks to my Aunt Karen! She shared this wonderful summer recipe in our old  Family Cookbook years ago.

Can I just say her Jack Chili Sauce makes the recipe? OK she called it spice sauce but with Monterey Jack Cheese and Chili powder playing starring roles I thought I'd rename it.  It is a must!



Jan's Tips: I double the sauce recipe. but that is personal preference for me. I used 2 teaspoons total Chili powder in the double batch of sauce.  I used a cheddar-jack cheese mix because that's what I had on hand.


Printable Copy

Summer Squash Enchiladas


Ingredients:

3/4 C. chopped onion

3 C. chopped yellow summer squash or zucchini

2 cloves garlic minced

1 Tablespoon oil

4 oz. can chopped green chili's

8 (6-7 inch) flour tortillas

1 batch (I make it a double) Jack Chili Sauce (recipe below)

1 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes



Directions:

In Large skillet over medium heat heat oil, onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add squash. Cover and let cook 3-5 minutes or until tender, stir occasionally. If any liquid in skillet drain. Add 1/2 of the green chili's and stir to mix. Turn off heat and set skillet aside till later



Make Jack Chili Sauce. (See recipe below)

Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick spray.



Stir 1/3 (I think I probably stirred in about 1 1/2 cups) of the prepared Jack Chili Sauce into the squash mixture. Fill each tortilla with 1/3 cup of squash filling. roll up. Place seam side down in baking dish. top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake at 400° for 30 min or until hot and bubbly.

Top with diced tomatoes and remaining chili peppers .



Jack Chili  Sauce

2 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine

1/2 teaspoons chili powder

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 Tablespoons flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 Cup Milk

1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese.

Stir all ingredients  except the cheese together and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly and starting to thicken slightly. Stir in 1 cup Cheese until melted.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...