7/29/21

Instant pot Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

 Making Homemade Spaghetti Sause in your Instant pot from fresh garden tomatoes is as easy as plop, set, cook, and blend!


How to make Tomato sauce in instant pot


I literally have tomatoes coming out of my ears! My sweet neighbor planted our garden for us, from leftover plants he had, and has been tending it for us , while we work like crazy this summer! I tease him he is sharing cropping! Our coworkers can't take any more, neighbors are full to the brim,  and this weekend I have someone from our free fridge community coming to harvest peppers, and tomatoes for loading our multiple free refrigerators around town. I love them,, it's a donate what you can, take what you need based system, all set up during covid-19, and all sorts of wonderful foods are available in areas of town that are "food deserts" with not as much fresh produce or grocers available.  


And. I still have enough to make several batches of homemade pasta sauce!  I have a batch started now, while I type this! 


I do it the easy way. .no peeling or deseeding the tomatoes. I blend the peels right up after they cook, and no one even knows they are in the sauce. You can run the sauce through a fine mesh strainer if you like to pull out the seeds, but at this point, I don't even bother. 

I keep my ingredients simple. My husband is diabetic, so no sugar added, just a bit of olive oil, pinch of salt, italian seasoning, and minced garlic, and if I have onions and peppers ready in the garden, or carrots, or other veggies, I'll toss those in too!

You can preserve your finished sauce by canning it, but I put it in bags or canning jars and freeze it most of the time. I like to keep a few small jars for "pizza " making, so I don't thaw a whole big container, to make pizza or for dipping sauce.

Here's how to make it in the instant pot.



Printable Copy

Instant Pot Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients: 

  • 4-5 lbs. fresh Roma tomatoes (about 20-25  for me) 
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 medium onion diced. 
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
  • 2 Tbsp  Italian Seasoning or handful of fresh herbs chopped: (basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme,)
  • Optional: diced or shredded carrots, zucchini , green peppers



Instructions: 

  1. Press  the saute button on your instant pot and and preheat. Make sure to press "adjust" button and set saute to highest setting. 

  2. When hot, ,add olive oil, onions, and garlic, saute till softened, about 8 minutes.
  3. Add in any optional vegetables such as diced peppers, carrots, zucchini , saute 5 minutes.

  4. Add in whole tomatoes and water. Cut into small pieces as needed to fit your instant pot. Mix as you can with other ingredients.

  5. Replace lid, press "Manuel or Pressure cook"  and  set to high pressure. 
  6. Set timer for 20 minutes.

  7. If you have trouble with pot pressurizing, you can add another 1/4 or 1/2 cup of water.
  8. When finished do either a quick release or slow, natural release. 
  9. Add in salt , and Italian seasoning. 

  10. Use an immersion blender to blend into a sauce. (as smooth or chunky as you like) .
  11. You can transfer to a regular blender if needed, but be careful due to how hot the sauce is.

  12. Once cool, pack into quart sized storage containers for your freezer, leaving 1 inch of space at top for expansion when it freezes.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...