3/31/12

Make Your Own Brown Sugar


Making your own brown sugar not only saves you money, but only takes 2 ingredients and is super simple! You can make this in small or large batches.  It's simply mixing white sugar and molasses. It really adds a richness to your baking that some people feel is better than the store bought. Make it and try for yourself!
Brown Sugar Substitute

I know, some of you are thinking, wait.. isn't white sugar a product of molasses being removed from sugar cane? Yep. As far as I know, Sugar cane or beets are used to make molasses, brown sugar and finally the bleached white sugar we use by the tons everyday in the U.S.  Some of you would rather by the brown sugar from the store and that's fine, I buy it too on occasion!   But, this recipe is great to keep taped to the inside of your cupboard because:
A) I don't know about you, but too many times to count, I've misjudged how much brown sugar I had on hand and ran short during a recipe or...
B) I already have White Sugar and Molasses on hand at home. So why not save some money on my next shopping trip and just make it with what I have on hand?

I usually make it in small batches, fresh for each recipe that I need, but you can make it in a large batch too















For Small Batch:
Equals 1 cup brown sugar:

Blend the following ingredients in a blender or food processor till well mixed.
Use immediately in a recipe or store in air tight container.

Light Brown Sugar:
1 cup white sugar
1 Tablespoon Molasses

Dark Brown Sugar:
1 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons Molasses


For Large Batch:
(May have to mix in two batches)
In large mixing bowl mix together with mixer till well blended:
5 lb. bag of sugar
1/2 -1 (12 oz.) bottle Molasses  (1/2 bottle for light brown sugar 1 whole bottle for a darker brown sugar)
Store in airtight container

Store in airtight container.
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Featured at apinchofjoy.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...