12/22/11

Crockpot BBQ Pork


Crockpot Barbeque Pork
I love the taste of slow smoked barbecue but seriously, which busy person has the time?  Grab your Crock Pot and lets make my version of pork barbecue. I promise you'll have people asking "Who made the bbq?, Its amazing!" every time you bring it to a pot luck!

My version uses a commercial packet of crockpot barbecue seasoning. I use it as a dry rub and cook the pork fatty side down. What this does is not only give the pork great flavor, but it gives it the texture, look, and taste of a slow smoked pork with it's little crispy flavor bits mixed in with the soft shreds.

Jan's Secret Tip. In the original post I used McCormicks orignial pulled pork seasoning packet which is great but harder to find now. I have found that we LOVE (my hubby swears its the best bbq he's had is seasoned now with Grill Mates Tennessee Smokehouse BBQ Rub. Lower in sugar than others and FULL of great flavor. They are not paying me to say this, we really do love it!

For those of you in the west that are not familiar with the Sourthern style of barbecue let me give you a quick run down. I'm from the west and moving here was a bit shocked the first time I had a barbecue sandwich. First of all they use pork, not beef brisket. They also use a vinegar base to their seasoning and no barbecue sauce.  Oh, and just to really mess with your head, they put coleslaw on top of the barbecue on their sandwiches! I came around to using the pork, but that is about where I draw the line!   So here is my version of  shredded pork barbecue:

Jan's Crockpot Barbecue Pork

Ingredients: 8-10 pound pork butt or shoulder 
1-2 packets bbq dry rub seasoning.


Directions:
Place pork butt into crockpot fatty side down
Sprinkle 1/2 -1 full packet ( I use one full packet) of the seasoning packet all over the pork butt and press it onto the meat with hands to cover well.


Place lid on crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours ( I sometimes do this overnight) or high for 4-6 hours till meat is falling off the bone tender. 


Scoop meat and bones into a large bowl. Go ahead and let your spouse and teenagers take a nibble, the smell has been driving them crazy for hours! After threatening them with a wooden spoon,   grab one more large bowl and a trash bag as well. Let meat cool at least 20 minutes, or till you can handle it with your fingers without burning your self ! 

When meat is cool enough to handle,with your fingers or two forks,  begin separating the bones, gristle and  fat from the meat. Discarding the bones and assorted non edibles into the trash bag and the meat into the second large bowl and shred.

Drain the pork broth from the crockpot and set aside, discard the trash bag and return the shredded pork to the crockpot.Set crockpot to warm setting and drizzle about 1/4 cup of broth onto shredded pork to "rehydrate" the pork.

 Serve Warm.






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...