1/5/12

Williamsburg Bread (A.K.A. Cheese Danish Bread)


Williamsburg Bread

Williamsburg Bread
Also known as Cheese Danish Bread
I don't know if this wonderful recipe came from nearby Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia but if you love cheese danish you'll LOVE this recipe!  It is fantastic to take along to a potluck breakfast or even serve as a dessert.  
I love it in it's original form, but my kids love it when I spread some strawberry or raspberry jam on top of the cream cheese layer and make it a fruity cream cheese bread.  I guarantee people will ask you for the recipe!
Ingredients:

 2 pkg. of crescent roll dough (either the regular kind with the perforations or the new style that is a solid sheet)
2  (8 oz. ) pkg's of cream cheese
1 egg separated
1  1/2 cup sugar : Separated: 1 cup/1/2 cup
1 teaspoon vanilla
cinnamon (just a smidge to sprinkle on top)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degree's.
 Spray 9 x 13 pan  with non stick spray.
Open one can of crescent dough and unroll onto bottom of baking pan.











Pinch together seams.











Set pan aside. In a mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, egg yolk (save the egg white for later) 1 cup of sugar (save the other 1/2 cup for later) and vanilla, till blended and creamy.












 Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over the bottom crust of the crescent dough.












(Optional: On occasion I have  spread a layer of strawberry or raspberry jam on top of the cream cheese, but I love it without the fruit very much!)

Open up remaining can of crescent dough and unroll on top of the cream cheese layer.  Pinch the seams together.












Brush top crust with egg white and then sprinkle with the 1/2 cup sugar  and with desired amount of cinnamon.











Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes till bread is baked and turning golden brown. Don't over bake.

I can't believe that  I forgot to take a photo after I cut a piece out so I could show you a good picture of the cheese danish layer, but it was Christmas morning, so I guess that's understandable. I'll just have to make another one and re-post it! 

ENJOY!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...