1/13/15

Homemade Chili

Making your own chili does not have to be intimidating! There are a ton of fantastic recipes out there, Quite often I get a call from one of my college age kids asking me for my chili recipe, and often it is while they are at the grocery store, and want to know what to buy.

Although mine is not full of fancy ingredients, it is quick and easy to make, with a no fail recipe that is sure to please.  I use a 1/4 pound of hot sausage in mine, to give it just a bit of kick without being too spicy, but if you need it mild only, use regular sausage instead.

Jan's Tip: Any chili recipe will taste better if you make it earlier in the day and just let it slow simmer to allow the flavors to really meld together, so if you can make it an hour or two before you need it.

Printable Copy of Recipe I sent my kids in College
Homemade Chili


Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef (or turkey )
1/4 lb. hot sausage
1 small onion diced
1 (15 oz) can chili seasoned beans
1 (15 oz) can Chli Seasoned tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

Directions:

In Skillet or large soup pot over medium heat cook onions, ground beef , and sausage till cooked through.
Drain grease.
Stir in beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
Turn burner to simmer, and let slow cook till ready to serve, stirring occasionally.


Jan's Tip: When I am serving chili dogs for just the family, I plop the hot dogs directly into the chili as it simmers, and then let the family dig one out when its time to assemble their chili dog. They can also scoop up as much or little chili as they like, but the hot dogs are warmed just right, and already have that yummy chili taste to them.

Next Post: My Famous Game Day Chili Bar
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...