2/15/15

Monkey Butter

It's the middle of winter. I am soooo over it! I am ready for some warm sunshine!While i wait I tried out a recipe from Pinterest I've been dying to try, Monkey Butter. It's really a tropical jam that has a combination of pineapple, banana, a touch of coconut flavor in it, and is a really sweet way to bring a bit of the tropics into your kitchen!

It is an easy recipe, and this recipe should be stored in your refrigerator or freezer till using it. I love that you can vary the ingredients, such as adding in mango if you like too!

I found the recipe pretty sweet, and would probably reduce the sugar a bit next time. I tasted more pineapple than banana, but you can taste the banana too. It was just an very yummy and interesting jam!  I made half a batch and got 2 ( 1/2 pints ) jars + a small 1/4 pint jar too

Not a fan of coconut? I found the flavor minimal. You could probably leave it out, but try grinding the coconut into more of a powder, or maybe a teaspoon of coconut flavoring?

Here's the recipe:

Monkey Butter:
Ingredients:
5 med. sized bananas
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple( do NOT drain)
1/4 cup coconut
3 cups white sugar
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
Optional: Box of Jam pectin (such as sure gel)


Directions:
Peel and slice bananas, removing any brown spots, and put the banana slices in to a large pot.
Add remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil over med. high heat stirring constantly.
Once boiling, turn heat down to a simmer and cook till thickened to a jam texture, stirring frequently.
Reminder; If using a box of pectin, Jam will thicken further as it cools.

Pour jam into clean sterile jars/containers. Store up to 4-6 weeks in refrigerator, longer in freezer.

Question: Is it possible to water bath can this jam? Answer: I don't recommend it. Other sites give canning directions, but I have concerns over the banana puree. It is similar to pumpkin as consistency goes and is not "cannable" in home canners.  You can try it on your own if you like, but I have not done so. I read that the jam will turn a light pink when put through the canning process.







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...