5/17/15

Freezer Fruit Cocktail Mix

Saving those uneaten fruits from the trash is the easiest thing to do! Every so often you end up with 1 or 2 pieces of fruit that has gone uneaten but they are now past their prime. Many of us freeze mashed up bananas for baking, but what about all the other fruits?

Here is what I do with that 1 mandarin orange, or handful of berries: Keep a gallon sized freezer bag in the fridge for a last minute frozen fruit salad or for smoothies.

I prefer to flash freeze my fruit pieces first. This is when you lay the fruit pieces on baking sheets and put into freezer till each piece is individually frozen. Then place frozen fruit into a freezer container or bag and they won't clump together! You can grab out exactly the amount you need!

In todays bag I pulled from the freezer I have Mandarin oranges, Pineapple chunks and raspberries. But apples, mangos, kiwis,peaches, watermelons cantelopes, grapes, blueberries are all good too! You never know what I have in my freezer fruit bag!

Besides smoothies, I will make a quick fruit salad for a side dish.

fruit cocktail salad:
Makes 4 servings

Partially thaw 2 cups Frozen fruit mix in a serving bowl.
Pour 2 cups gingerale or lemon-lime soda over the fruit mix.

Jan's Tip: The Gingerale or Lemon-Lime Soda is a quick shortcut for a traditional sugar syrup that comes with canned fruit.

How do you use your frozen fruit?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...