10/7/15

Smokey Mountain Cabin Soup

This Cheesy Comforting Soup is a real keeper! Full of potatoes and vegetables, this soup is actually a great one to pull together from a few pantry staples! You won't believe how easy it is!

I first found the original recipe in a cookbook from Gooseberry Patch, and it was submitted by a J. Kovach. I am so glad she did, because my husband said to keep this one in rotation.

I can totally see how easy this one is to take with you to cabin for a family trip. Comforting, yet easy to transport the ingredients too! So next time you are taking the family on a ski vacation or fall getaway, take along this recipe and you'll be so glad you did!

Ok, I did make a few tweaks to the recipe, partly because of what I had on hand, and also to add a bit of protein to the soup. It is perfectly fine without my changes, so I'll post the orginal along with what I added to the recipe.

Jan's Tip: Her recipe says it feeds 4, but I cut the recipe in half and there was enough for 4 regular sized bowls. I raised boys, so my 1/2 recipe would not have been enough if there were 4 kids home, but the original seems like it would feed for than 4 servings. The original recipe called for 1 (9 oz) box of au gratin potatoes. The stores today only have 3.5 (oz) boxes, so I guess you are supposed to use 2. We are empty nesters and that seemed like a LOT of soup, so I used one box and cut the rest of the recipe in half. I honestly think 1 box is probably just fine for the whole recipe, but have not made the full recipe to know for sure.

Jan's Tweaks: Besides cutting the recipe in half. I also :
1) Used cauliflower instead of corn
2) Added 1 1/2 cups shredded/diced cooked chicken (for added protein)
3) Crumbled in 1 slice of Bacon on top of each bowl of soup. (Cause, ummm. YUM!)

Smokey Mountain Cabin Soup
Ingredients:

2 (3.5 oz) box au gratin potato mix
15 oz. can corn, drained
14 1/2 oz can tomatoes with green chiles
2 1/2 c. water
16 oz. cubed Velveeta Cheese
2 c. milk

Directions:

  1. Combine potato mix with cheese sauce packets, corn, tomatoes and water in a large sauce pan.
  2. Bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring often.
  3. Add cubed cheese and milk let simmer and stir until cheese is melted. k
  4. Serve Warm.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...