9/7/16

Grandma's Apple Pie Filling

apple pie

My Grandma came to stay with us the summer of 1978 when I was 12 years old. This was during a particularly rough time in my life. I was able to spend quite a bit of time with her as she cooked for us.

One of the things she made was an apple pie. I have already posted her pie crust recipe, but when I asked about her pie filling,she said she didn't  really measure, but to grab a paper and pen and write down what she did.

Since my husband is a Type 1 (Juvenile type) diabetic I use about 1/2 cup sugar substitute instead. We just don't need it super sweet. You can adjust the sugar to your own taste.

So here, from my files is Grandma's pie recipe. It's simple, not fancy but really delicious. You can substitute some brown sugar if you want a bit more "caramel" type flavor.

Grandma's Apple Pie Filling
makes 1 pie
Ingredients
5-6 Apples, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 - 1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons Tapioca Powder (you know that little red box of pudding powder)

Directions:
Roll out one pie crust into bottom of a pie tin or cast iron skillet
In a large bowl mix together all pie filling ingredients.
Pour into the pie tin.
Top with top crust and crimp the edges together with the bottom crust
Bake 375° for 1 hour until crust is lightly browned and flaky and apples are tender.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...