10/18/17

Nana's Taco Soup

This Taco Soup Recipe is the first version I ever had, and  truthfully, It's always been my favorite.
 This month will be my 2nd Annual "Souper October". Every week I'll share a great soup recipe to warm you up this fall season!

There are a million taco soup recipes out there, I even have a freezer meal recipe on this blog, but the basic simplicity of it creates a craving that  will keep your family coming back for more time and time again.


The best meals start with family: As my regular readers know, this blog started out as personal blog to document family recipes, and expanded from there, but I still post family recipes and today is one of those days! This is my Mother-in-laws recipe. She can just make the best meals seemingly out of nothing. Getting her to document her " Oh I just did a little of this and a little of that" can be a challenge, but we do manage to pin her down to an actual recipe once in awhile!

Surprise Secret Ingredient:This Taco Soup recipe may not have tons of fancy ingredients, but it's just the simplicity of it that makes it so scrumptious.  I do often play around with the ingredients based on what I have on hand, but there is one surprise ingredient, I always make sure to use.. and I'll explain why. Cream of Mushroom Soup. I know.. I know some of you are like.. uggh.. I don't think so. But first, if I had not told you it was in there you would not have known. Second, It just melts into the soup, and adds a smooth, creaminess, that just helps tame the tartness of the tomatoes and the spiciness of the taco seasoning. It's that "secret" ingredient that just makes the soup. Trust me.

Topping it off: I love a bit of cheese, a dollop of sour cream  on top and to use multigrain scoop tortilla chips (they are a bit thicker and hold up better to scooping soup). But feel free to get creative with jalepenos or whatever floats your boat!

Printable Copy
Nana's Taco Soup:
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 lb. Hamburger
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 15 oz. can beef  broth
1 14 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1  8 oz can tomato sauce
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes drained (Optional: Tomatoes w/ green chilis)
1 can pork and beans (I'll sometimes throw in canned pinto or black beans drained/rinsed in addition)
Optional: 1 cup frozen or canned corn

Directions: 

  • In 2 qt. sauce pan, brown hamburger, drain and stir in taco seasoning.
  • Add in remaining ingredients, stirring after each addition.
  • Heat till bubbly and warm. 
  • Serve in bowls, top with grated cheese, sour cream and serve with tortilla chips scoops (and spoons if you must!)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...