4/28/13

Secret to Super Moist Meatloaf


There are tons of meatloaf recipes out there and all probably good, but I have found the secret to a super moist meatloaf that will keep your family coming back for seconds.

My first years of meatloaf making I used dry breadcrumbs or crackers in the meat loaf, I was never happy with how they turned out. Then one day I heard a cook say that if you put dry ingredients into the meatloaf you'll get a dry meatloaf, and to put in wet ingredients for a moist meatloaf.  That is what turned my meatloaf around. No more breadcrumbs or crackers folks. 

The secret is to soak bread (I tear it up into pieces in a bowl) in milk before mixing it into the meatloaf. This will lock in plenty of moisture and keep it just perfect.

So here is my recipe for meatloaf:
Printable Copy: 
Meatloaf:
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. ground Italian sausage
2 -3 slices of bread (torn into pieces)
1/4 cup milk
1 small onion diced small
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1-2 teaspoons granulated garlic or minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon season salt

Directions:
In small bowl, place bread and pour milk over bread, making sure all bread is soaking in milk. set aside




In large mixing bowl place meats,diced onions, eggs, and all seasonsings (grated cheese, garlic and salt).

Squeeze the bread in your hands to drain the milk till it's not super drippy and add all bread to the meat loaf mix:
























Using your hands gently mix the meatloaf till all ingredients are well blended. Don't overwork it though, the more you handle the meat, the tougher it will be, so gently mix it.
On baking sheet genlty shape meatloaf into desired shape. (I am making several small ones since I am an empty nester now. I am freezing two for later)

I don't always share my personal secrets but today I'll reveal one of them! I write messages in ketchup on top of my meatloaf!  
The first meat loaf I ever made for my husband as a newlywed I wrote I ♥U on the top of the meatloaf with ketchup before baking it. From that moment on, It was a tradition. Corny I know, but traditions don't have to be elaborate to be memorable!
Maybe my kids will write messages on their families meatloaves!





Bake at 350 degree's for one hour or until done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...