6/13/20

Blue Ribbon Zucchini Bread


Family Recipes are what makes life the best! and this Zucchini bread recipe has filled our families summers with sweet deliciousness for generations.

With fresh zucchini in abundance from our gardens, there was always a batch of this bread on hand in the kitchen. Our favorite way as child to eat it was lightly toasted with a schmear of peanut butter! I grew up with my dad having the recipe, but I've tracked the recipe back to his mother, and now I've passed it along to my children so it just keeps the memories alive for more generations.

Why am I calling it Blue Ribbon Zucchini bread? I was involved in 4-H when I was growing up. It is a wonderful organization to teach youth so many skills and be involved in community! I always submitted this recipe to our county fair competition every year, and it always came out the winner, every time. Well, except one year.  My grandmother had come down to help us out one summer, and had accidentally filled our "sugar" bowl" with salt. so when i went to make the bread, I measured out what I thought was sugar, and apparently it wasn't. The judge knew something must have gone wrong, and noticing my despair , said I could make another batch that night and bring it back in the morning and they'd judge it again for me. phew.. wasn't that wonderful? 2nd chances?  My grandmother and I ended up laughing about it later and always had a special bond!

Printable Copy

Zucchini Bread
Makes 2 loaves


Ingredients: 
3 eggs
2 cups zucchini grated (no need to peel)
1 cup  vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
3 Cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon baking powder
Optional: chopped nuts, raisins or chocolate chips 


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray 2 (9x5x3 inch ) loaf pans with non stick cooking spray.
  • In mixing bowl, beat eggs till light & foamy.  Add oil, sugar & vanilla, mixing well,
  • Stir in zucchini mix lightly but well. Add in flour, salt soda, cinnamon,  & baking powder to wet ingredients and mix well.  Add optional ingredients.
  • Pour batter evenly between prepared pans. 
  • Bake 1 hour or until tests done in the center with a toothpick.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...