10/10/20

Chocolate Orange Drop Cookies

 These Chocolate Orange Drop Cookies are just what you want in a cookie for the holidays, pillowy soft, light hints of  orange rounded out with bites of chocolate.



My Dad & Stepmom were downsizing to an RV, selling their home and traveling between the 8 kids & vacation spots while they still have time to live their best life. So in asking what of their possessions each of us would like to have, I mentioned I would love any of her recipes. She sent me her recipe box and what a treasure trove that is!



I pulled a handful of cookie recipes that I want to try out this season and see what our family thinks, so I am starting off my cookie testing now, so I know what to add into our holiday baking in few weeks. These Chocolate Orange Drops are my first test, and boy I am in LOVE!  Definately a keeper!



Jan's Tips:

1) Cream Cheese: original recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups of softened cream cheese, that is just a bit short of 2 packages, I just  used the whole 2 packages and it seemed to work out beautifully for me.

2) Shortening Vs. Butter: calls for shortening, and I did use shortening, but I would bet butter would be fine. If you use salted butter, I would cut out the salt in the recipe. 

3) Vanilla Vs. Orange flavor: I happened to have Orange baking emulsion flavor (Lorann's brand) and substituted that for the vanilla. I did also add the fresh orange zest/ peel. It still turned out to be a light orange flavor,, but you can for sure taste it. if you want a stronger flavor, I suggest playing wtih how much extra to add, but we like it as is.

4) Don't over bake! Check them at 10 minutes you want just  a hint of brown starting to show at bottom of cookie. Pull them then, and let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes (they are so soft!) then move to cooling rack. They remain soft like a pillowy cloud.. so good!





Ready to bake? 

Click here for Printable (or save) Recipe

Chocolate Orange Drops

Makes approximately 6 dozen. 


Ingredients:

2 cups shortening ( or butter)

2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese softened 

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

4 eggs

1 Tablespoon orange peel

1 Tablespoon vanilla ( Jan used orange flavoring)

4 cups flour 

5 teaspoons baking powder 

2 teaspoons salt

4 cups chocolate chips 


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together shortening, cheese, & sugars.

Add eggs, orange peel, and vanilla ( or orange ) flavor ; beat well. 

Mix in baking powder, salt & flour. Add in Chocolate chips, mix well.

Drop by Large Tablespoons or cookie scoop 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes, do not over bake. 

Let cool 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...